For those with type 2 diabetes who are on insulin.
Developed by our team of expert diabetes educators, Mastering Your Diabetes uses a high-energy, interactive teaching approach that puts you at the center of your diabetes management.
Offered four times a year, this five-day, intensive diabetes self-management program includes:
You will learn and review:
- What is diabetes?
- Monitoring your progress
- Actions of insulin
- Sick day management
- The ins-and-outs of acute complications
- Changing behaviors effectively
The evaluation provided by the diabetes education team includes a comprehensive medical exam, diabetes plan of care, basic diabetes skills assessment and lifestyle questionnaires.
Mastering Your Diabetes
This course will empower you to take the lead in your diabetes care and to master the advanced skills of diabetes management, including:
- Correcting the highs and lows of blood glucose excursions
- Understanding the pharmacokinetics of various insulins
- Potentiate the actions of insulin to benefit you
- Understanding your own laboratory test results
- Developing personalized guidelines (algorithms) for control of blood sugars
- Increasing your proficiency in carbohydrate counting
- Managing and preventing diabetes complications
- Maintaining psychological health and well-being
- Developing the leader within you
Rapaport teaches part
of the MYD course
and runs ongoing support groups.
Through follow-up and support you will learn how to effectively partner with your health care provider to support your diabetes plan of care.
The DRI Diabetes Education Team provides yearly educational updates to keep you informed of the latest state-of-the-art advances in diabetes management. Follow-up care will be scheduled on an individual basis.