The Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) serves as an external consultant to the Diabetes Research Institute, evaluating research programs and progress, as well as providing guidance and assistance in administrative policies and issues.
The members of the SAB are appointed by the Dean of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and the University’s Vice President and Provost.
The SAB meets with DRI faculty on a regular basis and presents a written report to the Dean of the School of Medicine.
The DRI’s Scientific Advisory Board is comprised of several distinguished scientists who have earned international recognition for their contributions to diabetes research.
Scientific Advisory Board Members
F. Charles Brunicardi, M.D., F.A.C.S.
- Chair, Department of Surgery
- University of Toledo College of Medicine, Toledo, OH
Christopher B. Newgard, Ph.D.
- Director, Sarah Stedman Center for Nutritional Studies
- W. David and Sarah W. Stedman Distinguished Professor
- Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology
- Duke University Medical Center
James Shapiro, M.D., Ph.D., FRCSC
- Director, Clinical Islet Transplant Program
- Canadian Research Chair in Transplantation (CIHR/Wyeth)
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Megan Sykes, M.D.
- Michael J Friedlander Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Microbiology & Immunology and Surgical Services
- Columbia Center for Translational Immunology (CCTI)
- Columbia University Medical Center
Massimo Trucco, M.D.
- Professor of Pediatrics, Pathology, Human Genetics and Epidemiology
- University of Pittsburgh
- Hillman Professor of Pediatric Immunology
- Head, Division of Immunogenetics
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Kathryn Wood, M.D.
- Professor of Immunology
- Nuffield Department of Surgery
- University of Oxford
- John Radcliffe Hospital
- Oxford, U.K.