Sean McGarvey, President of the North America's Building Trades Unions, started his career with the International Union of Painters and Allied Trades (IUPAT) in 1981 in Philadelphia, PA, and subsequently worked his way up through various leadership positions within the IUPAT.
In 2005, he was elected Secretary-Treasurer of North America's Building Trades Unions, and in 2012 was unanimously elected to the office of President.
Sean currently serves in various capacities for the following organizations:
• Co-Chair of the Oil and Natural Gas Industry Labor-Management Committee - a unique partnership between America's Building Trades Unions and the American Petroleum Institute (API)
• Board of Directors - Nuclear Energy Institute
• Member; US Council on Competitiveness
• Secretary-Treasurer - the Union Labor Life Insurance Company (Ullico)
• Treasurer- National Alliance for Fair Contracting, Inc.
• Board of Directors - National Coordinating Committee for Multi-Employer Plans
• Chairman of the Board - CPWR, The Center for Construction Research and Training
• Labor Co-Chair of the Center for Military Recruitment, Assessment, and Veterans Employment (CMRAVE) which operates the "Helmets to Hardhats" program
Sean also serves on several other union construction industry labor-management committees.
Sean holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the National Labor College; and is a graduate of the Harvard University Trade Union Program. Sean currently resides in Maryland, and has two lovely daughters - Kerri Ann and Kelsey Marie.