Out of the Kitchen
Some of the most popular chefs from across South Florida treated guests to the best seat in the house and helped raise more than $180,000 at the 3rd annual Out of the Kitchen to benefit the cure-focused work of the Diabetes Research Institute (DRI).
Bravo TV “Top Chef” Fan Favorite and celeb Chef Sam Talbot and CBS Miami Entertainment and Lifestyle Reporter Lisa Petrillo hosted the event – which was chaired by Miami philanthropists Amy and Scott Greenwald and Tammy and Steve Klein, and featured Chef Co-Chairs 2016 James Beard Award semifinalist and one of Food & Wine’s Best New Chefs of 2016 Bradley Kilgore of Alter and The Biltmore Executive Chef Dave Hackett, and the following culinary maestros:
- Chef Wolfgang Birk of Area 31
- Chef Michael Bloise of 2000 Ocean at the Pelican Grand Beach Resort
- Chef Sean Brasel of Meat Market
- Chef Julius Brown of Kitchen 305
- Chef Jeremiah Bullfrog of gastropod
- Chef Adrianne Calvo of Chef Adrianne's Vineyard Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Chef Scott Dolbee of Santorini at St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
- Chef Bobby Frank of Mignonette
- Chef Adrienne Grenier of 3030 Ocean
- Chef Michael Jacobs CEO of The Hidden Kitchen by Strategic Hospitality Group, Miami LLC and former Miami HEAT Chef
- Chef Scott Linquist of Coyo Taco
- Chef Max Makowski of Cypress Tavern
- Chef Jeff Maxfield of Toscana Divino
- Chef Ralph Pagano of Mambo Cubano
- Chefs Jamal Rodriguez and Michael Vitetta of The Biltmore Hotel
- Chef Anthony Sitek of Apeiro Kitchen & Bar
- Chef Nicole Votano of DIRT
Each chef simultaneously prepared a gourmet three-course dinner for their 12 adventurous diners inside the main ballroom of the Forbes five-star St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort.
Along with a delicious dinner, guests also enjoyed a cocktail reception with pop-up restaurants from LILT Lounge, BH Burger, and DK Culinary Ventures, raffle prizes, a wine bar featuring vintage wines from abaco Premium Wines, and a live auction which also featured a very special appearance by DRI supporters and restaurateurs NBA superstar Ray Allen and his wife Shannon.
Allen helped auction off two pictures on canvas of his famous NBA Finals shot with the Miami HEAT, and personally signed them on the spot for the two auction winners. After dessert, each guest went home with a copy of 2016 James Beard Award Outstanding Pastry Chef Nominee Antonio Bachour’s latest book, Chocolate.
This event was also made possible thanks to the following generous sponsors:
- Amy & Scott Greenwald
- Sabrina Gallo
- Gerson, Preston, Robinson & Company P.A.
- Tammy & Steve Klein
- Stearns Weaver Miller
- Marquis Bank
- Perry Ellis International
- Stacy Joy Goodman Memorial Foundation
The mission of the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation is to provide the Diabetes Research Institute with the funding necessary to cure diabetes now. The Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine leads the world in cure-focused research. As the largest and most comprehensive research center dedicated to curing diabetes, the DRI is aggressively working to develop a biological cure by restoring natural insulin production and normalizing blood sugar levels without imposing other risks. Researchers have already shown that transplanted islet cells allow patients to live without the need for insulin therapy. Some study participants have maintained insulin independence for more than 10 years. The DRI is now building upon these promising outcomes by developing a DRI BioHub, a bioengineered “mini organ” that mimics the native pancreas. While various BioHub platforms are being tested in preclinical and clinical studies, the DRI is also developing strategies to eliminate the need for anti-rejection drugs and reset the immune system to block autoimmunity. For more information, please visit DiabetesResearch.org, call 800-321-3437, or Tweet @Diabetes_DRI.
Photos by Andrew Milne.